Monday, September 8, 2008

Karaoketastic

Ah Karaokes, people say they hate them but secretly they love them. I personally quiet like them, think it's all good fun & what other excuse have you to throw copious amounts of alcohol down your throat...particularly numerous shots..

Although I do have one gripe about them and that's the DJ or KJ as they like to call themselves..Correct me if I am wrong but isn't Karaoke there to entertain the punters not an excuse for some washed up, over the hill, never made it in the industry, failed musician who feels the need to grab the mike & take over every one's drunken attempt at Whitney Houston or Robbie Williams.

I had this very experience at the weekend, booked the gig, spoke with a nice guy who reassured me that the DJ/KJ/wanker would also play a list of songs that I had put together to play on the night. So what's the problem you ask, sure half his work is done for him, well the problem was, no matter how much you ask and ask, the KJ will always only play what he wants to hear..Chris Rea's I can Hear Your Heartbeat is not my idea of getting people in the mood to which I had to tell him numerous times, this is not a retirement party it is a birthday, can you jazz it up a bit.

Not only did he start late to which his response was there was no-one there at 8pm (I was there but he had gone for a fag), he constantly interrupted people's performance, I lost the plot when he was about to suck the life out of a helium balloon in an attempt to be funny during my friends decent attempt at Kate Bush's Wuthering Heights ( & that's not an easy one to do).

So by the end of the night he was threatening me with guards because I relaid that I was not happy with him & that I would be speaking to his manager regarding a discount..

So basically all in all the bastard ruined my friends special birthday by being a prick and a wannabe, if you want to avoid this for any party you may be throwing that involves a Karaoke, his name is Thomas and he works for www.karaoke.ie...

Mind you we did get a laugh out of his ignorance with a few drinks the next day at the postmortem....

1 comment:

Red Leeroy said...

Thomas, I know him. He did my cousins bar mitzvah, we beat the shit out of him afterwards for making us sing 'Haddaway - what is love'.